After a couple of months of staring at it, I grabbed some Onasburg fabric that I had and glued it on with some fabric glue. It was very easy. I used clothespins to hold the fabric in place while the glue dried. I then used hot glue to adhere the fabric at the top and bottom edges to the underside of the shade. Then I just trimmed the excess fabric down and waa laa, a new shade. I put it on a lamp I had to see how it looked. It was a bit plain and when I the turned the lamp on I could see the raw fabric edges through the underside which I hadn't seen while the lamp was off. I took the shade off and sat it on an empty dining chair until I could figure out a solution.
A few weeks passed and I was in my local WalMart, checking out the newly added sewing department. Can I just say that I am thrilled they added a sewing department to the store? It is only five minutes from my house and it takes me 30 minutes to get to JoAnns. Although the department doesn't have a lot of fabric, it has the basics and that makes me really happy! Anyhoo, I found the cutest trim. I can't decide if it is butterflies or some sort of free form flowers. I bought a couple of yards and went home and glued it to the top and bottom edges. I love it! I mean, I really love it. I love the burlap-y color of the Onasburg fabric with the pop of white trim. My local thrift store is loaded down with lampshades and they never sell. Now I may start making over those, too. So much cheaper than the $16.99 that I pay at Home Goods for brand new shades.
Since I already had the lampshade, fabric glue and glue sticks, it was a very cheap (and fun) makeover!
Onasburg Fabric (.5 yd @ $4.99/yd) 2.50
Trim (2 yards @ $1.99/yd) 3.98
I am linking up to: